I made these scary Mozzarella Eyes with my mum for a Halloween party. We used green olives stuffed with red pepper for the iris because it seemed easier. But you can use black olives for the pupils if you like, just stamp out little round shapes with a plastic straw and put theses in the middle of the green olives (the “iris”). It was a bit fiddly first, but after a few mistakes they were quite easy to make!
- 2 packs of mini mozzarella balls
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Plastic straw
- I jar stuffed green olives
- Black olives (optional)
What to do:
- Drain the mozzarella balls and put them into a bowl. Add the oil, oil, sundried tomatoes, herbs, garlic and stir gently to mix. Marinate for a few hours, if you can.
- Cut the un-stuffed ends of the olives off to create little domes. Using the straw, poke a hole through the middle of these to create the iris. Put a bit of the red pepper into the hole to create the pupil ( or use a little round black olive piece as I suggested above).
- Repeat until you have enough pupils and irises for all of your mozzarella balls.
- When you’re ready to make the eyeballs, drain the marinade away and place the mozzarella balls on a serving plate . You can place them on top of some lettuce – this will help the balls not turning around too much.
- Place one set of iris & pupil on top of each eyeball. Chill until you’re ready to serve them.
Other Easy Halloween recipes:
- Halloween orange lanterns with jelly
- Halloween chestnut pancakes
- Halloween muffins
- Easy Halloween Cookies
- Crispy brains
- Hot-dog with severed fingers
- Scary mummy sausage rolls
- Green jelly monsters
- Chocolate skeleton bones