Every Halloween I make Scary Mammy Sausage Rolls for our party. This year I tried out a new recipe of these Mummy wrapped hot dogs. They were just as easy and yummy, looking funny&scary. The main difference is the dough I used for the wrapping, which was not puff pastry but bread dough. You can use ready-rolled flat bread or pizza base dough too – even savoury shortcrust pastry.
How to make Mummy Wrapped Hot dogs:
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work-surface.
- Cut thin & long strips, using a pizza cutter.
- Cut into the side of the sausages to create arms and legs. Wrap the dough strips around and between the legs and arms. Don’t worry about wrapping each exactly the same way – they should look different.
- Put the mummies on a lined or non-stick baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes at 180 C degrees.
- Let them cool, then move them to a serving platter.
- Use ketchup or mustard to draw some eyes – or using a straw stamp out little eyes from some black, pitted olives, then arrange these on the mummies’ face.