I wanted to make some really fluffy and lemony muffins for a party so I made these zesty lemon muffins using dairy-free spread and almond milk:
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter or dairy-free spread
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the lemon syrup:
- The juice of the 2 zested lemons above
- 1/2 cup sugar
How to make the lemon muffins:
- Heat the oven to 180 C degrees and line a muffin pan with paper basket cases or put some silicon cases on a baking tray.
- Mix the flour, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the lemon zest.
- In a small bowl mix the melted butter, milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a wooden spoon until you get a smooth batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups then bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Whisk the lemon juice and sugar together in a small saucepan and heat up gently. Simmer for about five minutes until reduced and syrupy. Turn off the heat.
- When the muffins are done, poke each with a toothpick and drizzle the warm lemon syrup on top or brush each with a silicon brush.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes in the tin (or silicon cup) then move them to a plate.
- I used rose-shaped silicon cups but you can use other moulds or just a normal muffin tin.
- Don’t overmix the batter – or your muffins will be stodgy